A regular relationship... in an irregular world.

Monday, September 18, 2006

Day Three - Taking it ALL in

All is still going well here in Parentville. Today Miss and I skipped out on the fam for the day and went sight-seeing in town. There are about six things to do, and we did three. It was a big day.

I find myself in a new space with my family now. In the past, when I've introduced boyfriends to my parents, I never cared what the guy thought -- only what my parents thought of him. I guess I was a "pleaser" kind of child. Hence, me waiting almost to the age of 33 to emerge from the closet. Be it age, wisdom, coming out, or simply finding true love - something has caused me to not care so much about their approval. I can't say I don't WANT their approval- of course I do. But this time their approval had no bearing on my own choices. This time, I am more interested in what Miss thinks of where I grew up. I want her to understand what made me - me. The good and the bad. To my delight, she's taken it all in with a sense of humor and without judgement, and perhaps come to understand a little more about me.

Also to my delight, my parents have taken in Miss with open arms. I understood this clearly today when my mother said, "Well, I guess I'm going to have a daughter-in-law that I didn't plan on - that's not so bad," and then proceeded to make us a fried chicken supper and my Granny-Great's favorite recipe for summer yellow squash. There's nothing like passing on tradition to new members of the family.

xoxoxo,
Ms.

No comments: