A regular relationship... in an irregular world.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner


It’s time. I can’t believe it. Tomorrow, Miss and I will board a plane for a trip back to the homeland suburbia from which I sprung. That’s correct, folks – it’s time for Miss to meet my PARENTS.

Now I was a late-bloomer in the whole practice of “coming out,” and never got around to telling my folks until just over a year ago – just after Miss and I started seeing one another. It’s been a whirl-wind year of disbelief, long talks, long silences, tears and ultimately laughter and acceptance on the part of my parents. They have yet to meet her though. They have yet to be in my presence while I’m in the presence of my female love.

Mother, Father, Miss, me… we’re all a touch nervous, but oddly – I am tending to notice a strange twinge of excitement stirring deep within me. At first I found it “off.” Somehow I must have misread a feeling of absolute terror. Surely that was more what I was feeling, right? But no. I am excited to introduce the person whom I love more than I’ve ever loved anybody to my dear family. I am excited to show her the neat suburb of conservative cleanliness in which I awkwardly grew up. I don’t really know why. Maybe I’m truly at peace about my personal life. OMFG.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

xoxox,
Ms.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha! best of luck with it - I came out to my folks earlier this year, and I'm taking my girlfriend home with me for Christmas (overseas, incidentally - frankly I think she's the bravest person I ever met!). I have the advantage that my family have been awesome, but they have yet to actually be faced with the in-flesh reality of my gf. I'm wondering whether it will be a little more shocking than the abstract concept!! I'm with you on the excitement front though - for some reason the thought of sharing where I grew up with the woman I love is tickling me pink! Hope it all goes well for you two - let us know!!