A regular relationship... in an irregular world.

Monday, December 18, 2006

Here we are - happy golden days...


It's the holiday season and Miss and I are spending it together. We made it out of LA, despite a stupid airline, and currently we are in New York visiting her family. I've received my first ever Hanukkah present - thankfully no underwear yet, and life is good and busy with holiday bustle. We will spend the next week here before going to visit my family.

Okay, this is going to sound a little corny, but I have to say, it has occured to Miss and me both that while going to see our families is wonderful, we are most happy to just be toegether. It's as if the weight of "family importance" has shifted somewhat from them - to us. Truly, it's quite gratifying to be at the stage in my life and relationship with Miss where we no longer accept spending the holidays apart, with each other's respective families. No - we have realized that- we now consider each other our immediate family - and we choose to spend special times with one another, working in the extended family around our own. It would feel downright weird to not have Miss by my side as we dig into holiday treats, hum old carols and pull apart heavily taped wrapping paper as we open gifts. I didn't think that would happen until kids entered the picture, but strangely, I'm perfectly content with my immediate family of two.

2 comments:

nina michelle said...

This is incredibly sweet! It made my heart all squishy! "Squishy" is a rare comodity for me this season. Thank you. :)

eb said...

Hi. Dropping by via the chick with the sunglasses. It's nice to create family traditions with your chosen family. And, I'm so glad you made nina all squishy.

I can't stop looking at that picture of Jim and Tammy Faye. They were aliens, weren't they? From the planet Platicfacimo. I think so.

~elizabeth
emeraldpillows.org