A regular relationship... in an irregular world.

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Peace on Earth, good will to men...

It's Christmas Eve-Eve, and Miss and I will be busy eating and opening presents for the next couple of days, so today shall be our slightly early Christmas blog. I was looking for a happy bit of news about acceptance, in keeping with the holiday spirit of peace. Sadly, that was a hard task. So I figure I'll tell you my own story.

As I've said, Miss and I are in New York for the holidays, and - as expected - we've included the must-do activities of a trip to the city. For one, we went high-brow one night and caught Rigoletto at the Met. Sitting next to Miss was one very elderly gentleman, appearing to be in his nineties. He noticed a ring on her finger that I had given her last year as an anniversary gift. He said it reminded him of a ring he had given his wife, and then noted he had found it in her effects after she passed away. He seemed to like Miss very much (how could you not), and he took every opportunity between acts to speak with her. He really was very sweet.

Miss and I thoroughly enjoyed the opera, and although the elderly gentleman made me a touch sad, I couldn't deny that I was delighted that he found us as acceptable to talk to as anyone, even though Miss and I held hands, or had a hand on one another's knee throughout the show. A man two generations ahead of our own, and he was as open and willing to share a story of his own late love with another couple in love, albeit a different kind of couple.

After the opera, we said our goodbyes to our elderly friend and exited the theatre. We stood outside of Lincoln Center, feeling good despite the tragic end of Rigoletto, and admired the tall Christmas tree, decorated with large twinkling snowflake lights. As we stood in the chilled night air, we began to hear people singing. It seemed an impromptu gathering of carolers had formed and they were singing "Hark the Herald Angels Sing!" Folks young and old, families, friends, and couples stood and sang Christmas hymn after Christmas hymn. Miss and I grasped hands and walked into the middle of the group, where we were welcome to stand and sing our hearts out as well. Peace on Earth and mercy mild, God and sinners reconciled.

Merry Christmas,
Ms.

1 comment:

nina michelle said...

and Merry Christmas to you two too!

:)