A regular relationship... in an irregular world.

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Out with the Old...

Miss and I wanted this blog to be a happy New Year message, but with the execution of Saddam Hussein, it feels downright irresponsible not to address such a major occurrence.

Certainly, Saddam was a violent dictator and no one I would want to be in the presence of for even a moment. That said, I can't help but feel cold when I see the news footage of the black hooded executioners walking him through his final moments. Not because I think it is tragic that this man's life is ending - rather, I feel this act has just made a martyr of a demon. George Bush is busy reminding us that this is an important step in the war on terror, and I can't help but conclude - ONCE AGAIN -- the true stupidity of our president. This act will cause more violence, more terrorism, and more hate than it would have to let that man rot in prison for the rest of time. He would have faded, and now... we've helped to assure he will be remembered in the public's eye as bravely facing his own death, and from his own supporters as a further symbol of cause to fight.

Yes, it's been quite a week of endings - James Brown, Gerald Ford, Saddam Hussein, and now 2006. A tough year for quite a few people indeed, Miss and I wish you a happier 2007. In this next year, may your life be easier, happier, healthier, wealthier, all of those things - but above all - we wish you peace - and all that means to you.

Happy New Year,
Ms. & Miss

No comments: